A screenshot from the Ville de Luxembourg’s 2015 population report, issued Wednesday. The top light blue line represents the total number of registered residents from 2001 to 2015. The middle teal line denotes the number of foreign nationals and the bottom dark blue line indicates the number of Luxembourgers living in the capital.
Luxembourg City: The number of residents in the capital has continued to grow at a steady clip.
Luxembourg City’s population has grown more than 10% since 2012. There were 110,499 residents living in the municipality as of 31 December 2015, the capital’s DP mayor, Lydie Polfer, said on Wednesday.
Luxembourgers made up 30% of the population, while the other 70% were foreign citizens hailing from 160 nations, according to Ville de Luxembourg figures [PDF, in French].
French, Portuguese and Italians were the largest foreign nationalities, although the British represented 2.2%, Polish 1.2% and Swedes 0.9% of the total population.
The Gare district was the most heavily expat area (84% of all residents) and Cents the least (48%).
At the end of 2012, the city counted 100,390 inhabitants, itself a 23% gain from the 81,659 residents recorded at the end of 2002.