Luxembourg has pledged €1.8 million in humanitarian aid for Yemen
Luxembourg on Tuesday pledged €1.8 million in humanitarian assistance for 2017 to the civil war in Yemen.
The announcement was made during the international donors’ conference in Geneva.
The investment will be implemented in collaboration with humanitarian partners including the World Food Program and International Committee of the Red Cross.
Humanitarian action minister Romain Schneider said it was necessary to give hope and prospects to the thousands of Yemenis, particularly children, suffering disproportionately.
“Luxembourg considers unimpeded access to humanitarian aid in this country, which has been ravaged by conflict since 2015, to be an essential principle,” the foreign affairs ministry said in a statement.
Yemen is one of four countries (Somalia, South Sudan, Nigeria and Yemen) for which the UN last month issued a threat of famine alert that could affect 20 million people.
Schneider gave a further €500,000 in aid to long-standing Luxembourg NGO projects in the regions affected. This aid comes in addition to the €4 million of assistance which Luxembourg earmarked for countries in the region.
Luxembourg also supports emergency.lu, a free connectivity platform supporting the coordination of the humanitarian response in Nigeria.